Sunday, November 21, 2010

Getting Information about Relative's War Records

I have had many requests from people emailed to me from my two web sites, Guadalcanal and Leyte Gulf, who have asked me if I had any information their relatives who fought at these battles or in World War II in general. Normally, I do not have that information.

For those of you who want to know more, I have two suggestions:
  • There is a wealth of information on the Internet about many Navy, Army, Marine, and Air units in which these relatives served. Based on my personal experience, a search using a search engine such as Google or Yahoo often yields a wealth of information.
  • If the person requesting the information wants to know more their relative's actual service record and the requester is a blood relative, the US National Archives can normally send a copy of the veteran's service record to them.
Good luck to those searchers.

Ken Friedman

1 comment:

Ken Friedman said...

I found out that ancestry.com also has military records available.